7173MUSTANGS.com
Air adjustable shocks - Printable Version

+- 7173MUSTANGS.com (https://www.7173mustangs.com)
+-- Forum: Tech Forums (https://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-tech-forums)
+--- Forum: Suspension, Handling, Brakes, Wheels and Tires (https://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-suspension-handling-brakes-wheels-and-tires)
+--- Thread: Air adjustable shocks (/thread-air-adjustable-shocks)

Pages: 1 2

Air adjustable shocks - 1sostatic - 07-07-2019

Here's a subject I know nothing about ...shocks. 

I noticed when checking my diff fluid that the exhaust pipe has melted through a little tube 

Not sure what make they are -- poss Gabriel - poss Monroe 

...does anyone know what dumb t00b does? ....not noticed any change in handling  Chin

[Image: shock.jpg]
thanks in advance 

Al 

RE: Air adjustable shocks - Bentworker - 07-07-2019

Ah- Air shocks.

My Grandé had those on it - including the hammer bash marks from someone making enough room for them.

I think that 50% of Mustangs had them on at some point so that people could air them up and get that raked look and super sketchy steering from taking what little positive caster the car had and pitching it in the trash by lifting the back of the car.

I suggest taking the shocks, and the little airlines and placing them in the nearest trash can.

RE: Air adjustable shocks - 1sostatic - 07-07-2019

I cant see any change in stance -- the way his back end sits ....others I have observed are a bit saggy in the back 

[Image: stang44.jpg]

RE: Air adjustable shocks - goodnigh - 07-07-2019

I had those, get rid of them. On a camping trip with car packed to the gills one of those lines sprung a leak.
A dab of marine putty got me back home but never again. Got a nice set of adjustable Koni's.

mike

RE: Air adjustable shocks - 1sostatic - 07-07-2019

OK ..so I think I'm getting the message that I have shit shocks underneath my car.... right then I'll get my spanners out ...waddya think ...KONI's ?

RE: Air adjustable shocks - goodnigh - 07-07-2019

1sostatic Wrote:OK ..so I think I'm getting the message that I have shit shocks underneath my car.... right then I'll get my spanners out ...waddya think ...KONI's ?

They are not bad shocks for their intended purpose.
Just not appropriate for our cars.  I also recently
replaced the rear springs with five leaf.  Those with
a properly adjusted Koni, you can feel a pencil if you
drive over it.  Depends on your individual taste.  

mike

RE: Air adjustable shocks - Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs - 07-08-2019

The shocks you have are ok. The intent of the air shock was to give them a boost when you were carrying extra like a ski boat of some kind of trailer or a big mother in law, lol. The shocks with no air are just like regular shocks. If you push up and down on the rear of the car and get it to bounce does it stop bouncing when you stop forcing it? If it does the shocks are good if it keeps bouncing they are not good.
Lots of times the Schrader valve is inside the trunk to air up the shocks will look just like a tire valve.
I do not remember the brand shocks that the PO put on my 73 vert but they were made in Japan. He was a racer and they do make the car handle really good. I drove it on the Roval at the Charlotte speedway couple times and was impressed on how they worked.

RE: Air adjustable shocks - 1sostatic - 07-08-2019

(07-08-2019, 09:17 AM)Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs Wrote: The shocks you have are ok. ......unless a big mother in law, lol. 

I really appreciate your help on this -- I am used to shocks being JUST shocks... or real boring telescopic tubes that just do one job...stop my ass from hitting floor...end of!!!! 

....not adjusted by air, trilithium crystals, Tarot card reading, photons, Italian extra virgin olive oil or the moon when in constellation Sagittarius...

However I am glad I can take 3 tonnes of Mother in Law to a shopping Mall once in a while  Haha ... it saves me from the usual "handbagging" and my ears remain intact ... thank you 

I found those t00bs are not active while driving -- just when you pump up with a compressor  Undecided

that was the thing I was trying to find out about. 

thanks to all . 

Al
thumb

RE: Air adjustable shocks - 7173Vert - 07-08-2019

Don’t let anyone fool you... Air shocks are a disaster for these car’s. I have ton’s of evidence to prove..., but, people will do their own thing anyway. Hope the choice you make works in your favour....

RE: Air adjustable shocks - 73pony - 07-09-2019

+1. The air shocks will destroy the upper shock mounts.