7173MUSTANGS.com
Greetings from Virginia, USA - Printable Version

+- 7173MUSTANGS.com (https://www.7173mustangs.com)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-welcome)
+--- Forum: Introductions (https://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-introductions)
+--- Thread: Greetings from Virginia, USA (/thread-greetings-from-virginia-usa)

Pages: 1 2 3

Greetings from Virginia, USA - stickler.sean@gmail.com - 10-12-2017

Hey guys,

I've owned this beauty for about a month now.  '72 Convertible with the 351-4V Cobra Jet.  Sounds cliche, but this car was housed inside for 18 years and brought out to be restored where the owner promptly passed away just after he began the process.  Still has a 1996 registration sticker on the windshield, the last time it was on the road.  Long story short, I got my hands on it and had it reassembled.  It runs and is in great shape, currently having the Carb rebuilt and a new gas tank installed.  

Motor and exterior are quite nice but she's missing some interior components, so I'm wondering if y'all couldn't help me with some parts websites?  I got a Marti report to see what it was equipped with when it came off the factory floor and she's missing the AM/8 Track Stereo, the Console, some misc screws, knobs etc.   Also, the convertible top only goes halfway and it needs a new piston.....  

Also, what do you think of the wheels and top?  Any chance they're original?  Was told the top was but who knows.....any advice and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks so much, I've loved looking at everyone else's pictures.....  

Sean
[Image: IMG_6057.jpg]

RE: Greetings from Virginia, USA - will e - 10-12-2017

Welcome from Phoenix. Here's my convertible:
[Image: cy9Nvle.jpg]

You should post up the parts you want in a 'parts wanted' thread. Things like the 8-track are not available. Some stuff, like the Console, some misc screws, knobs etc are available from a couple of the vendors. My go to place is Ohio Mustang but the other vendors are also good.

The wheels are not original. We would need a few closer pictures of the top to perhaps help determine if it is possible that it is original. At 45 years old I kinda doubt it but anything is possible.

You will like this site. A lot of friendly people and information. Enjoy that beautiful Mustang!

RE: Greetings from Virginia, USA - eddyw - 10-12-2017

welcome2   from Belgium

RE: Greetings from Virginia, USA - Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs - 10-12-2017

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.
You did not say if your car was automatic or 4 speed. Both are pretty rare I am sure you noticed on the Marti.
You can find the AM / 8 Tracks on ebay quite often usually under $100. You have to watch them they lie about what they came from. I got a couple and they actually worked. I have consoles that I rebuild or will sell as is for you to build. You can get new consoles but cost from over $600 to over $900.
Some of the guys here will set me straight if I am incorrect. I do not think the convertible got the black panel in the rear unless it had Decor Group trim that gave you the back pane, trim down the sides and Mach 1 style grill.
You have rocker molding which was not on Decor Group.
In 1972 you got the NASA hood when you got the Q code. Looks like I see the bump up for yours but cannot tell for sure. They came without hood locks and black out that was an additional option.
I have a 72 Q code CJ automatic vert that I am doing this winter, Gold Glow.
BTW there were only black or white tops and I doubt that yours is Ford. Check the glass to see who made it. Most repo tops will have a tag on the drivers side if you unzip the window sewn in on the side and hidden when zipped up.
I just parted out a one owner 72 vert so let me know parts you need. I am using the interior and exhaust on my build this winter.

[Image: 100_2870.jpg]

[Image: 100_2872.jpg]

RE: Greetings from Virginia, USA - secluff - 10-12-2017

Hello from Mississippi. A "Q" code convertible sure is a nice car to start your day with! Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply, Mike @ Motor City Mustang, and fellow forum member Rackerm have E-Bay stores or can be contacted here for new and "Gently" used parts. David (Carolina_Mountain_Mustang) also restores and sells consoles much cheaper than the nice but very expensive new ones.
The wheels on your car are the Turbine style as used on 77-79 LTD II's, Thunderbird's, and Cougar's. There was a 14" version used on Granada/Mercury Monarch line. Red center caps were on the non T-Bird versions. There was another version used on the 80's Crown Vic's, Mercury and Lincolns with the center cap covering the lug nuts.
The black rear tail light panel, wheel opening and rocker panel moldings were standard equipment on your vert. The ram air style hood was standard on all 351CJ's (Q Code) regardless of body style for 72 only. Because of production schedules, variances and "Burps" on the production line, some may have not received the proper Mach 1 style hood. 
Like David has posted, Black and white were the only two colors Ford offered for the tops.
Never hesitate to ask if you have any questions, as there are many very knowledgeable folks here who are more than happy to help you any way they can.
Welcome to your new Mustang home!!

RE: Greetings from Virginia, USA - OLE PONY - 10-12-2017

Welcome to the site from Warrenton Virginia!

RE: Greetings from Virginia, USA - John J - 10-12-2017

Welcome from Michigan.

John J

RE: Greetings from Virginia, USA - OzCoupe72 - 10-12-2017

Welcome from Australia, nice vert you have there

RE: Greetings from Virginia, USA - BeerDontCount - 10-12-2017

Welcome from Seattle! Post some more pics when you get a chance.

Scottt

RE: Greetings from Virginia, USA - mach71351c - 10-12-2017

Welcome from San Diego.