7173MUSTANGS.com
photobucket "game over" broken links - Printable Version

+- 7173MUSTANGS.com (https://www.7173mustangs.com)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-welcome)
+--- Forum: Site News (https://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-site-news)
+--- Thread: photobucket "game over" broken links (/thread-photobucket-game-over-broken-links)

Pages: 1 2

photobucket "game over" broken links - 72HCODE - 06-30-2017

i figured i would post this here since it will effect anything and everything that is using photobucket.

Photobucket changed there TOS silently a few days ago they went from a free hoster to a pay site.

they are basically holding your photos for 400$ as that is the cost it takes to re-enable 3rd party linking.

3rd party linking is what allows your photos to be posted inside your threads.

So expect massive broken links to photos in threads from now on until a new free hoster is located.

just a huge heads up 3 of my photobucket accounts are suspended from 3rd party hosting until i pay them 

400$ for the privilege of doing what i have been doing for free for the last 13 years.

brilliant photobucket clap clap

RE: photobucket "game over" broken links - Vinnie - 06-30-2017

That's completely and utterly stupid...

RE: photobucket "game over" broken links - luxstang - 06-30-2017

On a related subject: the reason I never used those services is that they own your pictures by default when you load them up. So if one of your pictures is good enough to make it into an ad or onto a postcard they'll get the pay and you don't even know about it.

RE: photobucket "game over" broken links - will e - 06-30-2017

Never liked Photobucket anyways. The ads were horrible. What's a good alternative?

Edit: I clicked on the 'upgrade' email. You are right about wanting money. $400 is a lot. Now, I get it. Hosting costs money. Network bandwidth costs money. The email claims they have 100 million unique users. If everyone paid it would be $400,000,000,000 a year in revenue. Heck, if only 1% pay that 400,000,000.

They may have got me to pay if it was like $50 a year but $400 is just too much. I don't care if I do get extra storage and it goes ad free. How do I know, after posting more photo's, they won't just increase the rates? Bad business practice.

I read that you can click on the announcment and 'open in new tab' and you will be able to see the picture.  Let's try!

[Image: 2002-1213ChloePlay_zpswzzambqk.jpg]

It took me to the site, where I got to enjoy many ads and finally the picture showed up. So if you really want to see a picture this is the way to do it (for now).

RE: photobucket "game over" broken links - 73pony - 06-30-2017

took me right to a pic of the dog.

(06-30-2017, 08:50 AM)73pony Wrote: took me right to a pic of the dog.

That's not a dog, that's "Chloe Sweet Pea". LOL

RE: photobucket "game over" broken links - 72HCODE - 06-30-2017

well the true effect of what photobucket did will be felt over the next 2 weeks. they basically dropped a nuke on the internet.

long term, they just murdered this type of communication "forums" as image hosting was the biggest driver of content. everyone will be forced onto groups on social media to maintain what they had before.
I refuse to go on social media so my posting is dead from now on.

other free hosters will now get slammed from the photobucket users and they will have to go pay as well very shortly. i'm not migrating over and over again so all my threads now have dead links for photos.

you should see the firearms forums right now in total melt down. like a said photobucket dropped a nuke on the internet this week.

I only frequent 4 or 5 boards, all car related, and most will host pictures. I just found the convience of Photobuck linking to be better. It's quick and I can post the same picture in a couple of forums.

I would rather support a board with my money than pay Photobucket their crazy amount.