7173MUSTANGS.com
Spare tire options - Printable Version

+- 7173MUSTANGS.com (https://www.7173mustangs.com)
+-- Forum: Tech Forums (https://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-tech-forums)
+--- Forum: Suspension, Handling, Brakes, Wheels and Tires (https://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-suspension-handling-brakes-wheels-and-tires)
+--- Thread: Spare tire options (/thread-spare-tire-options)

Pages: 1 2 3

Spare tire options - tony-muscle - 04-25-2017

My 71 Mustang has the inflatable spare tire, which I am planing on keeping, but not planing on using it as a spare. I will keep in the parts museum in my garage. I would like to have a spare tire that fits my brakes, so must be 15". But having a hatchback with fold down seats leaves me with little space in the trunk. Ideally I would like to use the original spare tire lock down, but based on my measurements, it will be hard to fit a tire bigger than 21". The smallest 15" tire I found is the Achilles ATR-K Economist (https://simpletire.com/achilles-165-45r15-man164515-tires) at 21". The maximum rated load is 853lbs, which may be in the low end for the Mustang. Or should I opt for a bigger tire and locate it somewhere in the middle of the trunk. With the latter option, will there be a "neat" way to lock the tire in place?
In any case, you can see my dilemma. Any other ideas or options?

RE: Spare tire options - midlife - 04-25-2017

Put the tire on top of the fold-down seat when it is folded down, ala Shelby in 1965.

Do you really expect to have more than 1 passenger? If so, then remove the tire, fold the seat back up, and pray you don't have a flat.

RE: Spare tire options - sicndhed - 04-25-2017

It's not just the load rating. I've always been advised that the spare's circumference should match the rear tires if a car has limited slip.

RE: Spare tire options - BOSS351 - 04-25-2017

I have a donut spare that the PO added to the car. He said it came from a mid 80's Lincoln that a guy he met from Ford told him would work. I can see if I can get a part number next time I am at the garage if you want. I keep it in the trunk along with the original spare.

RE: Spare tire options - tony-muscle - 04-25-2017

(04-25-2017, 07:36 PM)sicndhed Wrote: It's not just the load rating. I've always been advised that the spare's circumference should match the rear tires if a car has limited slip.
Yes, but what you would do is place the smaller tire in the front. So if your rear goes flat you have to move the front to the rear and then place the spare in the front. A lot of work but allows you to carry a small spare.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

RE: Spare tire options - tony-muscle - 04-25-2017

(04-25-2017, 08:01 PM)BOSS351 Wrote: I have a donut spare that the PO added to the car. He said it came from a mid 80's Lincoln that a guy he met from Ford told him would work. I can see if I can get a part number next time I am at the garage if you want. I keep it in the trunk along with the original spare.
Sure. Would you know the tire diameter or size? Do you carry the second one laying in the trunk without being attached?

RE: Spare tire options - sicndhed - 04-25-2017

(04-25-2017, 08:15 PM)tony-muscle Wrote:
(04-25-2017, 07:36 PM)sicndhed Wrote: It's not just the load rating.  I've always been advised that the spare's circumference should match the rear tires if a car has limited slip.
Yes, but what you would do is place the smaller tire in the front. So if your rear goes flat you have to move the front to the rear and then place the spare in the front. A lot of work but allows you to carry a small spare.

Great point.  I never considered that but I usually use larger rears whenever possible.

RE: Spare tire options - Jeff73Mach1 - 04-26-2017

Keep a can of fix a flat, a tire plug kit, and a portable dc compressor in the car and splurge on a AAA membership

RE: Spare tire options - 73droptop - 04-26-2017

I opted for a bottle of fix a flat and a small compressor in a bag with the lug wrench and jack.

RE: Spare tire options - tony-muscle - 04-26-2017

(04-26-2017, 11:46 AM)Jeff73Mach1 Wrote: Keep a can of fix a flat, a tire plug kit, and a portable dc compressor in the car and splurge on a AAA membership
You guys are practical.... i may throw a small tire just as an insurance. I think i can drive a few miles with a smaller tire in the front if need be.