7173MUSTANGS.com
distributor gear problems - Printable Version

+- 7173MUSTANGS.com (https://www.7173mustangs.com)
+-- Forum: Tech Forums (https://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-tech-forums)
+--- Forum: Engine, Drivetrain and Performance (https://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-engine-drivetrain-and-performance)
+--- Thread: distributor gear problems (/thread-distributor-gear-problems)

Pages: 1 2

distributor gear problems - mycoses - 10-03-2013

rebuilt my 351C to 393 stroker with a crane hydraulic roller and installed a Mallory dist with a 'steel' dist gear. 10,000 miles later the dist gear dissolved and took the cam gear with it. so just because you buy a 'steel' gear for a steel roller cam do not assume it is compatible. Crane recommends their hardened 'steel' gear for their roller cams and that is what I will install next. many sources rec'd a bronze gear for roller cams. because the bronze gear will always be softer than the roller cam and will not damage the cam. bronze gear has to be periodically replaced because of wear but nobody I talk to knows how often to replace them. so with a bronze gear you have to periodically pull the dist to check the gear. I talked to one engine builder about the bronze filings through the motor as the gear wears but he has never seen that to be a problem with periodic replacement. now I have to find the difference between a Windsor dist gear and Cleveland so I can I.D. if the dist manufacturer puts on the wrong gear.

RE: distributor gear problems - Don C - 10-03-2013

Yes, you have to be careful about what cams you use Mallory steel gears on, just supposed to be used on austempered ductile iron roller cams. I believe Comp cams are one that is compatible.

RE: distributor gear problems - wwhite72 - 10-04-2013

Cleveland and windsore gears do not swap because the dist shafts are different sizes. Crane makes a hardened gear for their roller cams specifically for the cleveland. I am guessing not all hardened steels gears are equal. I recently bought a synthetic gear for roller cams. I haven't installed yet because the Crane gear is still fine after 6k miles.

RE: distributor gear problems - Don C - 10-04-2013

The factory roller cam Windsor engines have the same diameter shaft as the Clevelands, where the older flat cam Windsor engines had a smaller diameter. However, the outside diameter of all Windsor distributor gears is smaller than Clevelands.
The distributor gear specs for Ford small block, 335, and big block engines are on page 3 of the attached installation guide.
[attachment=19200]

RE: distributor gear problems - mach1000 - 10-04-2013

I've heard they are pricey but synthetic is the way to go. They are universal with all types of cams.

RE: distributor gear problems - Don C - 10-04-2013

Unfortunately, the last time I checked nobody makes one for a Cleveland.

RE: distributor gear problems - wwhite72 - 10-05-2013

I have one. Will have to look at the manufacturer when i get home.

RE: distributor gear problems - jennyrn95630@yahoo.com - 10-05-2013

comp cams hydraulic rollers recommend melonized dist gear or bronze that wear out. Only melonized gear on a dizzy we found was a summit model. no experience yet, haven't run engine yet.

RE: distributor gear problems - boilermaster - 01-09-2018

(10-04-2013, 10:37 AM)Don C Wrote: The factory roller cam Windsor engines have the same diameter shaft as the Clevelands, where the older flat cam Windsor engines had a smaller diameter.  However, the outside diameter of all Windsor distributor gears is smaller than Clevelands.
The distributor gear specs for Ford small block, 335, and big block engines are on page 3 of the attached installation guide.

Don C,
Was not the article (thread) I was looking for, but the one you refer to is much better !
Thank You.
in the ford instruction sheet it lists the clearance from bottom of the gear to block.
that would in essence be a double check for both installed length ( 4.031''-4.038'')
and end play 0.024''- 0.035''.
one Must remember that when checking the distance from the bottom of the gear to the block pad
that the camshaft has to be removed !
going to go back and study the thread and instructions.
The article I was referring to was form hot rod to the rescue, a 351 c is eating distributor gears.
although it was for flat tappet camshaft, it did drive home what can happen when using a high volume oil pump and overkill valve springs.
That is where I realized that not should one chect installed length and endplay, but clearance to the block with camshaft removed.
Also remember that different distributor manufacturers measure length differently than fomoco.
 Boilermaster

RE: distributor gear problems - boilermaster - 01-09-2018

OOPS,
This was supposed to be posted to my own thread, distributor bushings.
sorry
none the less it still fits.
Boilermaster