New Rear Spring Sway Bar Plate is too Narrow for the U-Bolts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stanglover,
My 71 M code originally had the performance package, hence the factory staggered shock mounts up top. Early Cougars also had a staggered setup available but they included rubber isolators top and bottom of the spring as shown above that Hemikiller marked up of my first pic.
The big problem is the Cougar setup used a wider shock and sway bar plated to accommodate the rubber isolators, making then incompatible with a Mustang setup. Mustangs mounting holes are
3-1/4 wide and Cougars were 4" wide. Here a couple pics that will help explain the incompatibility.
To make thinks worse the 4" wide cougar sway bar plate is basically unobtanium due to very limited production and no aftermarket reproduction.

Attachments

• Cougar shock mount.png
    Cougar shock mount.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Cougar D0WY-5A775-A.jpg
    Cougar D0WY-5A775-A.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Plate Difference.jpg
    Plate Difference.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 0
Stanglover,
My 71 M code originally had the performance package, hence the factory staggered shock mounts up top. Early Cougars also had a staggered setup available but they included rubber isolators top and bottom of the spring as shown above that Hemikiller marked up of my first pic.
The big problem is the Cougar setup used a wider shock and sway bar plated to accommodate the rubber isolators, making then incompatible with a Mustang setup. Mustangs mounting holes are
3-1/4 wide and Cougars were 4" wide. Here a couple pics that will help explain the incompatibility.
To make thinks worse the 4" wide cougar sway bar plate is basically unobtanium due to very limited production and no aftermarket reproduction.
Ah, thank you for your very good explanation. That clears up my question and I'm sure, useful to others.
So, all will be good once done.

Back