Ignition Issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I got it to fire by guestimating 10ish BTDC. After about 10 seconds of running my carb blew off (was not bolted down) bad backfire through carb. Any ideas? Still timing issues? Fuel mixture or something with carb? What do you guys set yours at for initial start? Keep in mind this is a 460 bb. TIA!
If you don’t trust your timing mark get a vacuum gauge and set it to max vacuum.

If you have trouble starting back off some.

Compare that to your marks.

Also if you didn’t bolt down the carb it could have been a lean backfire from a vacuum leak.

Go to the corner put your head down and have a ten minute time out. When you have stopped cursing just admit you need a new balancer and go get one. Your balancer should have, at the very least one line at TDC. Everything you are saying comes down to the balancer in my opinion. It is the number one overlooked replacement part that wears out in an unforeseeable manner. The rubber layer in the middle dries out over time and will allow the outer ring to slip. If you don’t believe me knotch a mark on both the inner and outer rings next time you are ready for a light show. After picking your carb up from the neighbours yard again go check the knotches. They won’t be lined up anymore. Once they slip they keep slipping, you might even be able to turn the outer ring by hand to prove the rubber is toast.

Back