Torsion Bars Trunk Convertible - dealer added spoiler too heavy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the answer vom WCCC - they claim that the Cougar bars from the same years won't fit the 71-73 Mustangs... :chin: 

What to do know :huh: ?
My best advice would be to find a junkyard that has a 1971-73 mustang, ive been looking for a 2nd bar as well. it was hell to find the first one that came with mine.

Got the answer vom WCCC - they claim that the Cougar bars from the same years won't fit the 71-73 Mustangs... :chin: 

What to do know :huh: ?
Hmmm. I will get you a picture of mine with precise dimensions. WCCC's does not have a picture of the Cougar 71-73 bars, but these listed on WCCC's website look very similar. All I know is I have them installed. So they are out there somewhere and most everyone agrees Mustangs did not come with two from the factory. I might give WCCC a call on Monday as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we have a member with a cougar that could measure the spacing of the hinges and take some pictures of the brackets? I have a bracket out of the car might go look but I would think that it would need to be twisted symmetrically opposite to go into the other side and work.
David, the second bar is not opposite the first, but more like a forty five degree difference. One of the pictures in an earlier thread clearly showed the angle difference between the two bars.

Ok went to garage and the torsion spring I know came from a 72 vert I took it out. There is no way you can use two of the regular Mustang bars to put one going the opposite way. Here are some pics I too placing the bars in the Q vert I was working on. I had the filler panel cut out between trunk and rear window.

I would find a Cougar one that goes into the L.H. hinge and see if it works.

If you were to heat the bar and twist it to correct position it would loose it's spring tension.

First frost here last night with my neck out I am sol on firewood and I have no other heat. I have enough for about half the year. Neighbor said he is cutting dead oak and will give me that so should make it for the year.

Maybe these pics might help.

When I got my Mach 1, it had an NPD aftermarket spoiler on it. I have since acquired an original D1Z spoiler and fitted it. To compensate for the extra weight, I needed to "wind up' the torsion bars to max. As my car was basically a no option car, I can't say for sure that the torsion bars that are in the car were the originals, but they are original Mustang ones for sure. I have no problems with the weight stopping the trunk from staying up, but it doesn't take much to close it (on your head) if you're not careful.

When I got my Mach 1, it had an NPD aftermarket spoiler on it. I have since acquired an original D1Z spoiler and fitted it. To compensate for the extra weight, I needed to "wind up' the torsion bars to max. As my car was basically a no option car, I can't say for sure that the torsion bars that are in the car were the originals, but they are original Mustang ones for sure. I have no problems with the weight stopping the trunk from staying up, but it doesn't take much to close it (on your head) if you're not careful.
Mach 1 has totally different hinge and spring than a Vert. The Ford manual says one spring for Mustang two for Cougar due to heavier trunk. The vert never had the option of a spoiler so there were not any made with two springs. Note in the pictures I posted the vert has a boxed steel hinge not a stamping.

Mach 1 has totally different hinge and spring than a Vert. The Ford manual says one spring for Mustang two for Cougar due to heavier trunk. The vert never had the option of a spoiler so there were not any made with two springs. Note in the pictures I posted the vert has a boxed steel hinge not a stamping.
Ooops! did I miss that the car is a vert and the hinges are different. Oh well, someone might find the pics useful!!

Here are the dimensions for the bars. I believe the 67-70 cougars look very much like the ones in question. I am checking with WCCC on the dimensions. If they are the same I may just buy the pair and compare them to the set I have installed in my 73 vert.

Here are the dimensions for the bars. I believe the 67-70 cougars look very much like the ones in question. I am checking with WCCC on the dimensions. If they are the same I may just buy the pair and compare them to the set I have installed in my 73 vert.

I spoke to a guy at WCCC today. He said the picture of the bars on their website for the 67-70 cougars is wrong. I told him I was interested in a pair like the ones pictured above. Coincidently there is no picture shown under the 71-73 cougar torsion bar listing on their website. I told him, I think they have the 71-73 bars pictured under the 67-70 cougars description. He is going to measure the 71-73 cougar bars to see if they match. Stay tuned....

BTW: the basic part number is 44890 RH & 44891 LH

I spoke to a guy at WCCC today. He said the picture of the bars on their website for the 67-70 cougars is wrong. I told him I was interested in a pair like the ones pictured above. Coincidently there is no picture shown under the 71-73 cougar torsion bar listing on their website.  I told him, I think they have the 71-73 bars pictured under the  67-70 cougars description.  He is going to measure the 71-73 cougar bars to see if they match.  Stay tuned....

BTW: the basic part number is 44890 RH & 44891 LH
U R digging in on this one for sure. Great job.

I spoke to and received an email from a guy at WCCC Scott, we believe we have cleared up the Torsion bar mystery. I had him check the measurements of the 71-73 Cougar bars against the ones on my Mustang and as I suspected they are the same.  Here is his email response to me today. I think that settles it, the left and right torsion bars fo the 71-73 Cougar will fit our mustangs.

Hi Rich, the measurements are all the same. see the picture. 

Scott 

Special Projects, Research, Cougar Carchaeologist

Direct Dial  -  503-428-5834

Hi Rich,

I bought a set and the tool for them - arrived at my fathers home a few days before Christmas ::thumb:: 

Will post an update when he managed installation! Afterwards I will do the installation too on my Sportsroof...
The torsion rods for vert are easy to put in the FB are completely different never put one of those in. I posted how I did the vert maybe a year or so back.

You put the left side in and I used the second notch. I wrapped a piece of wire around the rod so it would stay put. Then I went to the right side with the straight end. I used a small pipe wrench and put it over the 90 deg. bend and twisted enough to get the end of the rod inside the hinge arm.

Then I took the jack that came with the car and put under the rod and twisted it to align with the hinge. I then took a seal puller and snapped the rod right in place. No way for it to jump out and kill you, lol.

how many sons does michael jackson have

Hi Rich,

I bought a set and the tool for them - arrived at my fathers home a few days before Christmas ::thumb:: 

Will post an update when he managed installation! Afterwards I will do the installation too on my Sportsroof...
Hi Tim, on your Dads vert be sure to install the correct bar on each side. If you already have the original single bar installed, you can just add the second one. I suggest starting with each bar adjusted to its lowest notch/position and move the left side up a notch and the right if needed until the lid stays fully open on its own.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Hi Rich,

The torsion rods for vert are easy to put in the FB are completely different never put one of those in. I posted how I did the vert maybe a year or so back.

You put the left side in and I used the second notch. I wrapped a piece of wire around the rod so it would stay put. Then I went to the right side with the straight end. I used a small pipe wrench and put it over the 90 deg. bend and twisted enough to get the end of the rod inside the hinge arm.

Then I took the jack that came with the car and put under the rod and twisted it to align with the hinge. I then took a seal puller and snapped the rod right in place. No way for it to jump out and kill you, lol.

how many sons does michael jackson have
David,

thank you for the input. My dad and I bought the special tool for it so we will see how this will come in. But with your instructions we have some plan B's ::thumb::

Hi Rich,

Hi Tim, on your Dads vert be sure to install the correct bar on each side. If you already have the original single bar installed, you can just add the second one. I suggest starting with each bar adjusted to its lowest notch/position and move the left side up a notch and the right if needed until the lid stays fully open on its own.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Rich,

that sounds like a reasonable plan - we will it do after your order! I am exited how this will work out...

Thank you for your efforts for us!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your familiy!

Back